Blogs > Live from the TPC

Our New Haven Register sportswriters will be filing updates all week from the Travelers Championship at the TPC River Highlands course in Cromwell

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Allen Addresses Trade Rumors

After finishing his pro-am round in a group with PGA Tour member Woody Austin and ESPN's Karl Ravech, Ray Allen addressed the multiple trade rumors that have him and Rajon Rondo to (depending on who you believe) Detroit or Phoenix:

Does Allen see himself being a Celtic next season?

"What else would I see myself as? (If) I'm traded, I'll plan on being somewhere else. But right now, I'm a Celtic."

He has spoken with Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge, but received no assurances that he would remain in Boston.

"It's not about assurances. He has to do a job, and I have to do what I have to do. That's part of the business ... It's just part of off-season 'relaxation.'"

He's not surprised that Rondo, a 23-year-old point guard thought to be a big part of the Celtics' future, is part of the trade rumors.

"I've been around long enough to understand that this is a business. As well as he's played, he's attractive to other teams. Contractually, in his case, it may be a little bit tougher. He's not making a lot of money now, so to get something great back is not (as realistic) to our team."

Allen likes fellow UConn alum Jeff Adrien, and expects him to be selected in Thursday night's NBA draft.

"I've heard a lot of great things from people throughout the league that he has a great shot. He's an undersized player, but that's somewhat how the game's gone, with guys with his athleticism. He can change the game, he has good hands, he's good around the basket and he's a rebounder, so teams would love to have him on their team. I think it all depends on how the draft unfolds. He'll definitely be drafted, it's a matter of whether he goes mid or late. But I like his chances of being a great pro in the league."

Could Adrien help the Celtics?

"I think he would. He can shoot the jump shot, he's got a lot of athleticism. He does remind me of Leon Powe a little bit – about the same size, maybe a little bit smaller, but he's got that same power and strength."


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home